Location: Oakville, Ontario
Are you a hands-on, CPA-designated Controller with 5+ years of experience and open to new opportunities?
Do you thrive in small to mid-size organizations in which you get the opportunity to wear multiple hats and work closely with the CEO?
In addition to the accounting-related duties, there is an opportunity to be involved with high-level strategic planning across the firm. If you are a strategic profit-minded Controller who thinks not only about the numbers, but what those numbers actually mean, this may be a great role for you to consider.
We do not sponsor work visas for this job. Application is only open to Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents. All shortlisted candidates must successfully complete our in-house interviews and will be required to go through a complete background check.
Reporting to the CEO, your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Consolidates all financial internal reporting, monthly budgeting, cost and profitability analysis
- Review and provide month-end MFR and IIROC documents, RAC weekly analysis
- Verify and transfer funds between accounts. Assist with month-end data entries
- HST, QST tax filling
- Prepare Payroll and commission payout every 2 weeks, review of commissions and expenses
- Provide HR support when required, including onboarding new staff, salaries calculation and adjustment, RRSP, group benefits, year-end reports for employees and advisors, etc.
- Develops and maintains relationships that effectively represent the firm’s interests with external auditors. Prepare year-end audit reports, lead on year-end audit
- Works with the management team to promote and strengthen the finance function, through a focus on people, process and performance, introducing metrics, best practices, and enhancements to significantly grow, evolve and enhance the function
- Supports strategic initiatives/projects as required across the business to ensure proper business cases and financial performance
- Integration management where required, to make sure that company policies and practices are adopted effectively
- Assist other members of senior management in evaluating strategic alternatives. Perform financial analyses, risk assessments, and due diligence related to key issues
- Drives operating discipline in the division through the establishment and regular review of KPIs Ensures that the division has the needed operating analysis to support the management decision-making process
- Provides overall leadership to ensure that internal controls and financial reporting are adequately designed and are effective in their application
- Assesses and implements new accounting standards, communicating the accounting and business impacts
- Plays a lead role on all business integrations focusing on people, processes and technology
- Responsible for the review of balance sheet reconciliations and performs reserve analysis to assess the adequacy of reserves
Critical leadership capabilities
- Driving Results
- Able to identify and articulate the firm’s long-term objectives and a path to achieve them
- Shows strong passion or a strong sense of urgency about reaching targets
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure the team is achieving results
- Works with operations management to develop and implement corrective action to fix missed performance goals
- Willing and able to be “hands-on” as the business requires. It is critical that the Controller fits the “business partner” mindset. The successful candidate will be able to synthesize financial data into actionable recommendations and have a performance mentality that is focused on concrete results
- Confidence and executive presence
- Ability to attract and motivate highly professional staff
- Ability to effectively lead, manage, train and motivate a diverse group of managers and employees
- Bachelor’s degree
- A professional accounting designation (i.e., C.A. or C.P.A) is required
- CSC course completed a must
- At least five years’ financial leadership experience gained in the Financial Industry, where they have also gained demonstrable business acumen and experience in addition to technical expertise
- Full-cycle Accounting
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and written communication skills
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
COVID-19 considerations(where required):
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, and cleaning procedure
Employment Type: Full-time, Permanent
- Have you completed the following level of education: Bachelor’s Degree?
- How many years of work experience do you have using Finance?
- Do you have at least 5 years’ financial leadership experience gained in the Financial Industry, where you have also gained demonstrable business acumen, experience in addition to technical expertise?
- What is your level of proficiency in English?
- How many years of work experience do you have using Microsoft Excel?
- Do you have the Canadian Securities course completed?
- Full cycle accounting experience?
- Are you comfortable commuting to this job’s location?
- Do you have a valid driver’s license?
- What is your level of proficiency in French?
SUBMIT YOUR CONFIDENTIAL APPLICATION